Ugliest Bathroom in the House

Now that the laundry room and master bathroom have been made over and are looking lovely, they are no longer the ugliest rooms in the house. That honor now goes to ... the kid's bathroom! Take a bow!

It's certainly on my "gut job" list, but, given the preteen slobs that currently use it, I don't think it's a wise investment. Maybe when Alice get to high school?

But, I DO think I can throw $150 dollars in there in the meantime and upgrade the look at bit. We have family visiting at the end of December and using this bathroom, so I'd like it to look less like a catastrophe.

Here's the current room -- I didn't even tidy it up. This is what it looks like in all it's glory.

I think this filter is doing it A LOT of favors. It's pretty grubby.

My issues are many (!) but, as I learned from the laundry room project, a new floor goes a very very long way. So that's what I'll start with.

Given my tiny budget and DIY skills, I found vinyl adhesive floor tile that mimics the cool cement tiles that is so popular right now. And the price is RIGHT ... $50 for the entire floor. (Assuming I did my math right.) All the comments said it was a simple project and the tiles were pretty easy to cut. So SCORE!

Next, the wall behind the sinks should be tiled ... but that's outta budget and my skill set. And, remember, I'm assuming that we'll do a full remodel in a few years. So I've been looking at peel-and-stick wallpaper JUST for that wall. Again, super affordable at $50. And high-impact.

After some shopping around, here's the supplies I've picked ...
Both From Amazon: Floor Tile and Wallpaper
The color scheme really goes with the vanity, counter and tub that are, of course, staying. And adds a touch more sophistication for the teens currently using the bathroom.

Finally, the walls will need to be neutralized from the aqua blue. Luckily, I have leftover cream paint from my master bedroom project that should just cover the other three walls. And I'll buy a new (likely white) shower curtain and a rug for the floor and .... we should be rolling. And in our $150 budget.

Sure, I'd love to change out the faucets that I loathe, but that's not a DIY project for me (maybe I have a buddy that knows how to do that?!). And I DID consider painting the vanity, but I've never been very satisfied with any of the cabinets I've painted in the past, so I'll wait for the remodel to deal with it. Hopefully, the new finishes de-emphasize it.

I'm aiming to be done in a few weeks, so I can focus more attention to the guest room and basement area, which will be key to all my upcoming guests and parties.

Here we go again ...


Relate links:
See the Laundry Room makeover
The Last Time I Updated the Kid's Bathroom
ALL the bathroom projects

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project