Skip to main content

14 Things About Me for 2014

Celebrating the new year with 14 Things About Me ... which is kinda becoming a blogging staple post. And they're kinda fun.
  1. I have three sisters and a brother. And we all live in different states. 
  2. I have a Kindle and still love buying books. It's a 50-50 split. If it's a smutty romance or light YA read, Kindle it is! Though, to be honest, there are some books I've bought for the Kindle and decided I wanted the paper copy. eBooks bad for the book industry? Not in my house. 
  3. I'm terribly uncoordinated and sometimes forget which is my left and right hand. 
  4. I have fantasies about being a yoga instructor.
  5. I often create elaborate stories in my head to fall asleep -- and will continue day-dreaming about them, if they're good. 
  6. If I still can't sleep, I image redecorating different rooms in my house. I'm usually asleep before I get to the window treatments. 
  7. Amalie, French Kiss and Ace Venture Pet Detective are my top three all-time favorite movies. 
  8. I read books about self-sustainability and have been devising emergency plans for when "the oil runs out." Such as raising chickens, apple trees and learning to knit socks. 
  9. I'm an introvert and have a hard time making friends. 
  10. I have a very dual personality. For example: I would love to live on lots of land with outbuildings and livestock. But at the same time, I'm very attracted to city life and can see all of us living in Paris or NYC. This duality means I will likely never be satisfied where we live. 
  11. One way to explain this is I'm half Spanish (passionate) and half Norwegian (stoic). 
  12. Despite having moved to outside of Chicago, I subscribe to the NYTimes on Sundays. 
  13. I'm a bargain-hunter and picky shopper. We love shopping. 
  14. I hate raisins. 
Best wishes for a great 2014!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.