Skip to main content

First Time Walking on a Lake

How exciting is it the first time you walk on a frozen lake?

We had lunch with Nana this weekend and made a pitstop at a local park when I saw the lake was frozen over. "Girls, have you ever walked on a frozen lake?"

"No.... what!?"

They didn't believe me until they kicked the snow away and looked down -- at ice! Sheer amazement!

Running on a Frozen Lake with Nana
So we made our way along the shore to some ice fishermen to peer in the fishing holes and actually see the water. "Can you believe there are fish swimming right below our feet?" I asked. "NO WAY!" The guys told us it was 8 to 10 inches deep - SOLID. And with temps averaging 25 degrees, we didn't think that was going to change anytime soon.

Standing on a Tree that Dips into the Lake. Glad it Was Frozen!
We told the girls that when I was little, we'd take shovels and clear a ice rink in the snow -- which they thought sounded like a darn good idea. Too bad we didn't come prepared.

Winter is kind of amazing some days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.