Skip to main content

Changing My Anti-Decorative Clutter Tune

Anyone Want a Ride?
For a long time I was so against decorative clutter.

Maybe it was because I had a very small house and I insisted that everything be useful, but it seemed pointless to buy and display a porcelin statue or pretty candle holders. Decorations came from framed art and pictures -- on the wall where I had space. And maybe some pretty curtains. Heck, even my plants had purpose, aloe and herbs (though, always an African violet for Great-Grandma.)

But every home decorating show, magazine and book will tell you that these knick-knacks add the finishing touch. Character! Style! Class!

Big, White Vase
So, lately, I've been hunting around for these little pieces of purposeless decorations. Mostly on One Kings Lane or Home Goods or Target. And with many rules. They have to be cheap (I'm not spending more than $20 on something that has no other purpose than to collect dust). They have to be unique or stlyish or really enticing. This clutter is supposed to communicate your style, right? So you really have to LOVE it. And, preferrably, it's gotta be big. Again, why buy it if it's pea-sized and go unnoticed.

My early foray was this bike. It's just an iron statue of a bike. Under $20 on One Kings Lane. I liked the texture, the form (circle!) and it's size. And we like bikes. Dave is a big bike fan. The antiqueness (though faux) adds some age to this newer house. So, I feel pretty good about this one.

This pottery vase caught my eye. It's BIG and white. My dining table is huge, so only BIG works well on it. Can you just imagine gladiolas in it?

This finial is cement (hiding behind the birds). Also white but kinda grey and pretty. The patina works well in my gray dining room. And speaking of, aren't those birds cute?! I went a little overboard on finding cute winter/Christmas decor the year.

The big piece is this Llador girl on a swing. Charming, no? It was given to us by my Mother-in-law. It belonged to her mother and she wanted us to have it as an heirloom. I hope to pass it down to one of the girls, as a keepsake from their great-grandma. It was a struggle to get her home from New Jersey this Thanksgiving, but she arrived with no damage.

And so on, you get the idea. Slowly, these little artifacts are working their way into my house.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.