'Days of Blood and Starlight' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
Read by: Khristine Hvam
Genre: YA Lit

Ok. I was walking through the YA section at the library and nearly fell over when I saw this audiobook. It's a pretty new book. A book that I bought not too many weeks ago and have been too busy to start. A book I have been waiting and waiting for since finishing Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I got it, of course, but it felt like cheating. Like I should be READING the book, for real.

I got over that pretty quickly, as I fell back into Karou and her situation and powerful mix of emotions. In a sentence: this audiobook was ammmmazing.

With Laini Taylor, you don't so much "read" her books, as you're pulled under the spell of her words, her characters and her world. It's big. It's deep. It's a rollercoaster ride of action and emotions.

I'm not sure I can summarize this story easily or without spoilers, as it's the sequel and so much happened in that first book. Karou is a human with blue hair who moves between two worlds, our human world and one made of beasts called Chimera and Angels. And they have been at war for thousands of years. Enter the Romeo and Juliet story; Karou (is kinda Chimera) falls in love with an Angel named Akiva. And all hell breaks lose.

Like any second book, there is a lot of set up in this story -- they build armies and alliances, get revenge, feelings grow, tension mounts -- and nothing will pan out until the next book when the battle really begins. But there's certainly enough action and plotting. And Karou continues to mature and kick butt. She's no longer nieve and with so much knowledge, she's bubbling with longing, regret and the need to set things right. Sure, there's a lot of repetition, it's Taylors way of reminding you what's important.

The reader Khristine Hvam is super, too. She's great at all the voices, especially the Czch accent of Zuzana and Mik. And though it was a 12-disc audiobook, time went quickly by in my car.

The last chapter blew my mind! And the third book isn't due until next year ... at the earliest! So, I'm in for a long wait. Worth it, though. Oh so worth it.

Grade: Green Light!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project