Skip to main content

'The Undomestic Goddess' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Ready by: Rosalyn Launder
Genre: Chick Lit

Occasionally I like to read about adults -- take a break from the teens and find out what my own demographic is up to. Sophia Kinsella is a well-liked "chick-lit" author so I browsed her section at the library last week and pulled the one that sounded the most likeable.

What was I thinking!?

My absolute most loathsome, pet-peevish plot device is creating a web of lies. Samantha, the main character here, bumbles into a housekeeper job interviews and, thanks to a rather powerful narcotic, gets the job – even though she’s actually a workaholic city lawyer. When she realizes it the next day, instead of coming clean, she keeps up the charade. Lie and lie builds up until I wonder how dumb any of these people can be. And how low can Samantha go?

And this was just after the first disc.

Like I do with any book I'm not into but feel invested enough (and for me, it doesn't take much) to find out what happens to the protagonist in the end -- I skimmed. I listened to odd number discs and forwarded haphazardly. I stumbled upon the first-kiss scene and was able to keep up with the gist of the plot. Then, I listened to the last disc (I think there were 11 in total) and felt she got a much better deal than she deserved.

As for me, I learned my lesson and will be sticking to nieve teens and nonfiction, for now.

Grade: Red Light 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.