Skip to main content

TV Going Up ... Or Not

In the spirit of changing up the way we live in this house since being in Paris, we decided to hang the TV above the fireplace, thereby reorienting the entire family room.

Or did we??

First, we set the TV on the mantle and moved the sofa, to test the experience. We decided the TV wasn't too high and it wasn't like we were craning our neck to watch our shows and movies.

Next, we asked the electrician to add an outlet above the fireplace, so we could minimize the cords that hang down. Ideally, there would be no wires visible.

Then, we hung the TV and I started to think about what we can hang around the TV. I was thinking the records we have hanging in the living room.

And we stared at those wires hanging off the right. And that made us unhappy.

We just couldn't figure out a way to hide that pesky coaxial cable wire! Everything else we were able to hide. And that was a dealbreaker.

So until we cut the cable TV cord (which we're not ready to do yet) or when they deliver a wireless cable box (which could be in the near future), we moved the TV back to it's original position on the cabinets in front of the navy blue wall.


I haven't cleaned up the cabinets, NOR have I hung the pictures. That's coming, now that I know I have the TV to factor into the design.

More to come ...

Related links:
Family room posts
Last time we redid this gallery wall
See my fireplace project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.