Pizazz in the Powder Room

Updating the first floor powder room, across from the laundry room, was definitely on my task list for this Spring. Mostly, replacing the single-basin vanity with a cabinet vanity. And maybe some tile.

BUT ... as things go, we ran out of budget to buy a new vanity. (Maybe next year?)

Nevertheless, I wanted to jazz it this week but stay on a very tight budget -- $100 max. I was thinking a new rug, light fixture and some kind of colorful statement.

It all started at Target ... I walked past this leafy green peel-and-stick wallpaper (Devine Tropical Wallpaper) a few times before I tossed it into the cart. It's a statement for sure and on budget at $30. But would it work?

First, I was very frustrated the last time I did this removable wallpaper installation (see that post). Second, but I totally loved it after it was all done. Third, I didn't think it would match the wall color, thus forcing me to paint that powder room -- as much as I love painting rooms, painting bathrooms, especially this one, is to acrobatic to do more than a few times a decade.

Needless to say, I was totally on the fence about this one. ("Keep the receipt!")

Even after I brought it home I wasn't convinced until .... I finally opened it up and hung it on the wall. And it actually matched!! It picked up the blue/green of the wall color. It was fate.

To sweeten the whole deal, I found a pre-primed piece of trim in the garage leftover (read: free!) from the pantry project! YES! (Pantry project post here.)

Here's a few pics:

I Used a Color Filter, I Can't Seem To Get The Color Right
And then all up!

Day One Complete!
OK ... I'll admit the seams are NOT PERFECT. With this kind of pattern and the challenge of a sticker, I don't think it's possible. SO, if it bothers people, I may add a thin piece of trim down the seams for a board and batten look. But, so far, no one has mentioned it.

The key to any on-the-cheap room redecorating is to shop your own house. I found all the other accessories in other rooms. For example, the picture ledges were once on the family room wall. That's an old bedside table. Etc.

So, what's left on this little project? I'm looking for a green bathroom rug (or maybe something natural like jute!) for the floor. I generally HATE scatter rugs, so maybe I can find something a bit more substantials ... and seriously on sale. And the vanity light needs to be changed! Plus, I can't find a suitable piece of art for above the fern wall around the house. So, I'm on the hunt for something ... maybe I can DIY.

And all under $70 to keep in my $100 budget. Yikes! 

No matter what, I think we can say pizazz was achieved!



Related links:
See this bathroom in 2014 and in 2012 when I tried two different colors
A LOT of bathroom posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project