Skip to main content

5 Reasons to Love Autumn

Last Fall!
As much as I love summer, and I absolutely do, there are a few things that happen in the fall that eases re-entry into cold, chilly and awful weather. And since I'm into making lists lately, I'll give you a top 5 list. (You're welcome!)

1. Back to school - the return to a more regular schedule. Especially this summer, because I only worked part time. Not that I'm complaining, but it all felt a bit surreal. I'm back to full time this fall and so are the kids. And in our neck of the woods, school starts in late August. We're ready to roll. 

2. School supply shopping. I have fond memories of all the supplies my Mom would buy, especially when all five of us were in school. I remember the smells of new paper and delights of choosing my supplies -- fueling my optimism for the year ahead. I get the same feeling when picking through folders and #2 pencils for my second-grader. Happy new beginnings. 

3. School clothes shopping. Because I'll take any reason to shop and there are good sales! The one drawback is those new wool sweaters and jeans usually sit in the closet for a few months until the weather turns cold enough to wear them. But it's still fun and worth it. And don't forget new shoes! This time of year always makes me long for penny loafers. 

4. Football season.  I love the regular Sunday afternoon rhythms the NFL season creates. No, I don't actually watch too much of the games, but it's the absolute perfect excuse to stay in all afternoon. My husband, who usually likes to get out of the house on errands and excursions, is fine to stay put and watch the games. The weather still allows the kids to play outside, and I'm driven into the kitchen to make stews and roast chickens. Or putter the house, content as can be.

5. Soccer season. We don't play soccer all summer, so I'm usually anxious to get my team roster and get the kids back on the field. I only recently rediscovered it, but there's something in my genetic code that doesn't feel right until I get my time on the soccer field.

I'm sure you've got your own reasons to love the fall. But it's big downfall, the thing that holds this season back from being my favorite, is that it's followed by the dreaded WINTER. Ugh. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.