Skip to main content

The Grass Plan

There's a spot in my landscaping that is completely weeded over. It stretches between two rows of trees and I assume the original landscaper has some grand plan for the area but the plantings either failed or lost out to the weeds.

It's in the back of the lot and I've come up with a plan for it. Simply: Grass.

I could add some shrubs and mulch, but that's costly and there's already too much mulch area in the backyard to maintain. And adding grass makes the space useful for the kids -- for hiding and making forts, no doubt.

Because it's August, there's not much I can do with it. But come early September and I'm going to cover the area with heavy layer of newspaper to kill the weeds. Then, I'll add dirt over it and sod (or grass seed, if I'm feeling pinched for cash). The newspaper will eventually compost and feed the grass and hopefully keep some of the weeds from coming back.

My Weed Patch: Picture Grass!
That's my grand plan, anyway. In the meantime, save your newspaper for me!



Related links:
More Backyard posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.