Skip to main content

Jessica's Day of Unemployment

Dining Room Vignette
Yesterday I celebrated a milestone -- my last day at a job I've held since first moving to Illinois. Overall, it was a great experience and they were generous to give me a summer of part-time hours. We had a great summer.

But, I got a new job. One that I hope will be more fulfilling and able to keep a better work-life balance. And it starts on Monday.

So today, is my one and only day of unemployment.

I packed the kids off to school and pondered what to do. I had two options: Indulge in all my vices like reading, binge watching TV shows, playing in the garden. Or, Option 2: Run errands, tackle to-do lists and generally get some things done.

Oh ... how I wish I was the type to be able to take Option 1. But I'm not. So errands it was.

Here's a few things I accomplished.

Cups in the Kitchen
1. Replace my New Jersey drivers license with one from Illinois. I've lived here for nearly two years, so it's well-past time. I rocked the quiz, so mission accomplished. And a much better picture.

2. Clean and tidy up. Always and forever.

3. Indulge in a little Starbucks (tall latte forever).

4. Organize a few cabinets in the kitchen. 

5. Hang pictures in the dining room.

6. A little work and a little play at the computer.

If I was being sincerely honest, I'd tell you that I sat on the sofa for an hour listening to an audiobook playing a game on my phone -- but I'll leave that part out.

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.