'The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British by Sarah Lyall
Read by: Cassandra Campbell
Genre: Memoir (Cultural Anthropology?)

My first love is British culture, from Mr. Darcy, Lucy Honeychurch and Prince William and Jamie Oliver. I love British literature, culture and lifestyle. London is one of my favorite cities and I used to dream about marrying a man with a British accent. So this book's little dive into British-isms sounded like fun -- a good way to indulge my anglo-love.

Not so much! It was such a nasty look into this group of people I turned it off after disc two so I'd be able to watch Downton Abbey without wincing!

The author, a journalist married to Brit and now living in London, is clearly unimpressed by the British way of life and its people. In fact, I'd say she hates them. I'm not even sure why she's married to one.

I only got through a few chapters which included demystifying sex (Brit men are bad in bed because they were harassed by their male prep school teachers), politics (all women-hating, foul-mouthed drunks) and drinking (the way to meet your soulmate is to be completely blitzed at a pub) -- wow. She's inspecting the people around her like something she found on her shoe. I turned it off. Too mean.

Grade: Red Light



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project