Sunday Dinner - Count On It

Years ago I read a study about Sunday dinner. It stated its importance in a busy family when members don't have time to all eat together during the weekdays. Meeting around the dining room table once a week becomes a sacred tradition the family can count on. It's a piece of information I filed away -- with very young kids, we hardly ate together. Or even the same things.

Nowadays, with Leah in first grade and picking up early-evening activities (soccer practice and ballet class), weekday dinners have been less about what we're eating but how fast it gets to the table. Gone are my prepared menus and prep-time. In are the dinners of scrambled eggs and toast! Frozen chicken and corn! Spaghetti ... again!

So, I'm pulling out this idea of Sunday dinner. Other than the family time and creating a weekly tradition, I want more time to experiment with recipes that take longer than 15 minutes to prepare. It's about putting different food in front of the kids and practicing table manners, setting the table, etc.  Very European-sounding, no?

Dining Room - Open for Business
For the first few weeks I'll be testing the waters. Sunday football provides an excuse to stay close to home, hit the grocery store and spend the afternoon cooking something savory.

I foresee some bumps in the road, but hopefully I can turn this into a weekly tradition we all count on.


Related posts:
More about my quest to cook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project