'The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Ready by: Natalie Ross
Genre: YA Lit

Not that I'm always swayed by covers, but this one always caught my eye; the brilliant yellow and black silhouettes. And not that I'm swayed by medals, but it's a 2010 Newbery honor recipient for pete's sake. The story did sound cute and I could use a few hours in hot Texas this week. So, I checked it out of my library.

Bottom line: Not for me.

The imagery was beautiful. My car actually grew a bit hotter with descriptions of a Texas heatwave that sent families inside during the afternoons to nap. And I grew fond of the brisley grandfather and wondered how a turn-of-the-century Mother kept all those kids respectful and in-line.

But the story moved slowly and lazily. Calpurnia took too long to figure things out. And the audio quality felt blurry in my ears. Like it was recorded behind a wool blanket.  After disc 2, it got returned to the library. Maybe Ms. Kelly will write a turn-of-the-century parenting guide next.

Grade: YELLOW LIGHT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project