Skip to main content

'Endymion Spring' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton
Read by: Richard Easton
Genre: YA Fantasy

After the love I had for Seraphina, I thought I'd try another YA Fantasy novel. And this one I'd seen a few times on the shelves, with an intriguing cover of the entwined snakes. Try it!

I got about half way into the discs and decided life was too short for a boring fantasy. And turned it off.

The book was told in two eras; One from present day Oxford and one in medieval Germany. The story is about a secret book and made of magic paper. It was technically well-written, slow and little hard to follow in parts ... and full of things that bugged the crap out of me.

First, the boy in Oxford, Blake -- no idea how old he was. None. I thought it might be part of the mystery, but the longer I waited for that little fact, the more annoyed I got. The difference between a 14-year-old and a 10-year-old is too great to try figure out for half the book (with no hints). And the author was obviously English, but didn't take into account cultural differences for his American main characters. For example, Americans don't use the word "torch" -- it's a "flashlight." This happened, a lot.

And last -- and this is turning into a real problem for me -- I didn't like the gruff male voice telling the story. And, looking back, I realize I haven't liked one book from a male reader.

Grade: Yellow Light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.