Skip to main content

Bunk Bed Are Back!

Rise up!

Clearly I Didn't Get a Chance to Make Them Up for This Picture

These are the bunk bed that I had as a kid. Carol and I would take turns sleeping on the top and bottom. I usually got stuck on the bottom, which I eventually decided was okay because if the house flooded, I'd be the first one to know and could escape faster. Carol would likely float away.

Our favorite game at the LaSalle Ave house was running from the crocodiles that swam out of our closet. And the bunks made for good sailing out on the open seas. This was also the bed frame we threw Liza against. (Sorry, little sister!)

It's been a decade, at least, since these beds have been bunked. And here they are, ready for the next generation to discover new games. Though, they are a bit lower than I remember. Could the bunks be shrinking?!

Alice was worried at first, but excited once she saw them in her room. A few practice climbs up the ladder gave her enough confidence to want to sleep ON THE TOP bunk the first night. And every night since.

Leah spent a few nights on the bottom. But she soon realized it was the inferior position and went back to her own bed.


I'm planning to refinish them this spring. The white paint, a much later addition, is chipping off. In my childhood, they were a dark-stained wood. I'm tempted to bring that back. But I'm also considering a bright green or yellow. Something will inspire me, no doubt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.