Skip to main content

'Julie & Julia' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: Julie & Julia by Julie Powell
Read By: Julie Powell

So I'm a little late to this party. The Julie & Julia blog had a huge following (one of the first blogs to reach mainstream attention), the book came out in 2005 (a NY Times best seller, hello!) and the movie came out in 2009 (was that Meryl Streep?) that I never saw. So, yes, three years later I'm scanning the options at my local library and picked it up.

It's so not what I expected.

I was expecting Julie to be mousey and quiet -- a quintessential secretary with a passing interest in cooking. In reality, she swears like sailor and drinks like a fish (another gimlet, please). She's depressed, is crazy/dramatic and is a Buffy fangirl. One night, over wine, she jokes about cooking her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking and her husband takes her seriously. He shows her this new thing called blogging and, much to her surprise, she follows through with it. Managing a year of butter, pork fat, testing the bonds of her marriage and all her other relationships.

I enjoyed that it was Julie's voice narrating the words. It made the memoir more personal. I responded or scolded her. "Julie, don't eat that!" And I cheered when she de-boned a duck. And I was sad, very sad, at the end when (spoiler alert) THE Julia Childs doesn't appreciate all she's going through.

The story rambled, but the challenge of all those recipes and the effect the project on her life was compelling. And hearing a female's voice move flawlessly from pronouncing French foods to dropping dirty f-bombs was entertaining.

Grade: Greenlight  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.