Skip to main content

The Garden Update for End of July

It's late July and here's the news from my veggie garden.

The good: We started harvesting cucumbers (yum!) and we've gotten a second harvest out of the lettuce, likely to be one or two more! I'm starting to pull the onions out of the ground and am fascinated by the "curing" process.

The bad: The beans just withered up and died and I'm not sure why or what happened. I never even got a decent yield out of them. Also, not sure what to do about this broccoli. Where are the little trees?

Updates: I added a pepper plant to each garden last weekend. I'm also noticing the few cilantro plants I left after harvesting is starting to come back. I was told to pull the entire plant after the first harvest. Next time, I'll leave them and see what happens.

The Herb Garden: Basil is Nearly Ready to Harvest! There are a Few Tomatoes on
The Left Side That Will Be Ready In a Week or Two.

Veggie Bed: Onions are Nearly Done. Lettuce Is Still Going.
And See the Beans on the Trellis? Bummer.
 More photos ...



Hiding Cucumber, Amidst the Carrots

Dead Beans. Awww.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.