'Airborn' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: 'Airborn' by Kenneth Oppel
Read by: Full Cast
Genre: YA Lit, Steampunk

This was a bit of an unconventional choice for me -- mostly because it was a high-seas action (boy) book with zero chance of kissing, but I was tempted anyway because it sounded so much like the Leviathan, the steampunk trilogy I read a few years ago. And I was in the mood for an adventure.

Happy I tried it out, as this book was filled with excellent high-seas adventure. And I liked the full-cast performance (it was the first I'd come across) -- it really elevated my enjoyment of the story and the characters.

Matt Cruise is a cabin boy on an airship called the Aurora. In steampunk fashion, it's a Victorian-era ship (zeppelin) that flies the Pacificus to exotic ports of call. Matt meets Kate, a bold heiress and budding scientist out to prove her grandfather had found something extraordinary before he died. Matt joins her crusade -- amid pirates and shipwrecks.

Matt is certainly a worthy and noble hero who saves the day -- again and again. And his kind Captain Walken, with his booming voice, was one of my absolute favorites. The scenes with Chef Vlad, and his crazy accent, were my favorite. And the pirates were good baddies. All together, a very dramatic performance and fantastic to listen to.

And, yes, there was a kiss. Two, actually. Yay!

Grade: Green light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project