Floating Shelves and Kitchen Conversations

I was chatting with our contractor about final plans for our kitchen renovation ... we're getting so close to starting up, and I can't wait. 

We were talking about the open shelving I have planned and how we'd need to get the black iron brackets. "They're not going to be floating?" he asked. 

Ugh no. It's not that I don't like the look of a floating shelf, they give that clean look, for sure. But is it weird to think they're like a lame magic trick. Like people look at them and think "WOW, how are those shelves being held up, especially with all that weight!" 

Obviously, they know how it's done, but it still feels like I'm trying to trick someone. 

I don't want that in my kitchen. Visible brackets will be holding them up our shelves because I like the look of them and they feel like they belong there.

Also, I've seen too many DIY folks on Instagram have to re-do their floating shelves because they didn't add enough support, so they started drooping forward. No thanks, I don't want that possibility. I'll take the brackets.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project