Skip to main content

The Last Room to Paint

Leah's room was the only one in the house I haven't painted since moving in. She liked the light grey color and didn't want me to bother with it. I hated the pale color and flat finish, plus all the pock marks from moving furniture, but I let it go. 

Now that she's away at college, I have (nearly) free-rein on her room, and I have IDEAS! 

First up, YES, paint! 

I picked Smoky Azurite from SW. It's dark blue but with lots of grey undertones and gives the room a cozy yet active vibes. I immediately loved it. And it coordinates with the quilt and the grey in the curtains. Excellent. 

The flat finish of the old paint soaked up the new paint so well that I had to do a second coat in most places -- even though I used the Emerald line of paint from SW, which usually only needs one coat. But that's how it goes with flat; it's an excellent primer. 

Here's the desk wall in the old grey. If you could see all the holes and dirt, you'd understand why I was so excited to paint this wall. 


This is the picture I sent Leah, to get her approval on the color choice. 


In progress photo that I sent Leah. Last year I painted a little yellow stripe on this wall and it covered up pretty well in the end. You can also spot the new quilt that matches so well. 


My only bit of controversy was this wall. I really want to paint those closet doors so the room has a more cohesive look -- a big blue box. But I was out-voted in the house, and vetoed by Leah. So they stay white. For now. 


The end results ... the desk wall ... looks moody and deep. I love it. 


And the COZY bed wall. I have every intention of finding a headboard at the ReStore that I can personalize. I also have a plan to cover this wall with posters and art -- all in thrift frames. Go really maximalist so it really makes a statement. I think Leah will love that. 

But next up is the desk wall. I want to figure out a long desk that spans most of this wall (maybe Ikea cabinets and a butcher block top?) and install two 6 ft floating shelves for all her knick-knacks and books. Then a big cork board for even more of her art, photos, and things. AND, as alluded to in this photo, while she's away at school, this becomes the perfect sewing room. 

Desk Wall, Planning!

More soon! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.