Skip to main content

My Secret Wish

I blame it on my Instagram stream.

Here's my secret wish ... I want to be a homemaker.

Okay, and not the homemaker you're thinking. This one:


But maybe.

Because I do these things on weekends and spotty over the week, but I want to be dedicated. I want to master these things.
  • I want to make more food from scratch. Bread. Yogurt. Cheese. Ketchup. Granola bars. Cheese crackers. Tortillas! My heroes are those bloggers who do this. The cookbooks that they put out. I read them with awe. I try but I'm no where near where I want to be.
  • I dream about spending time preparing meals for my family ... now that the kids are older and we can just about enjoy the same food. And having the time to really plan and prepare. Soak beans and make the tortillas from scratch. Stuff like that.
  • I think half of what we buy around the house is because we didn't know we already owned it. Nothing is in the right place. We need to organize and get rid of things we don't need/use. And stop buying stuff we don't need/use.
  • There would be time to get in a workout a few times a week. I might be fit!
  • My veg garden was a total joke this summer. And my other beds in the landscape - laughable. I spent about 15 minutes total on landscape projects this summer. There's something I could dedicate my time and feed my family. 
  • I want to manage my family's budget down to the penny. I want to know where everything goes and save for big expenses.
  • I try my best to be involved with the school work and keep up with all the events at school. But I can't and I drown in the paperwork that comes home. I'd love to be more organized.
Most of these things I'm doing now, but they get small bits of my time and focus before I bounce to something else.

But maybe, I like doing them because I have to struggle to do them. And if it were easy, would I find other distractions?

And it's not likely to come to fruition anytime soon because, frankly, I'm too scared. I make a good salary and that allows me some degree of freedom to buy nice things for myself and my family. I'm putting money into a 401K plan so that someday I WILL retire and see most of these goals fulfilled, albeit in a much emptier house. Not to mention it's important for the girls to see me work -- to know it's an option for them. That they can "have it all" -- whatever that means.

So this continues to be my SECRET WISH and one that I can't even imagine working out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.