Skip to main content

Basement Cabinets FINALLY Get Color

Remember the basement cabinets from my basement project a few years ago? Here's an image when they were just installed to jog your memory:
They're IVAR cabinets from IKEA. Dave put them together and the contractor who finished our basement attached them to the wall with these cute little legs. I got caught trying to decide what color to paint them and just stained them an awful color ... that honestly made them look dirty. (WHY!?) Here's that post. Not sure why I called them "fabulous."

Anyway, quarantining has us spending lots of time in ALL the spaces in our house, including the basement and I thought an easy project would be to finally paint them.

Dave really wanted some light, not dark like the bathroom, and I just didn't want them to be white. I brainstormed a hundred different ways to paint them ... with designs and a few colors and so on but finally decided on a color from Magnolia Home.

 In this image, you can see the "dirty" stain. The few colors I was trying and the winner is the bluish-greyish semi-gloss in the middle.

Painting also gave me the excuse to clean out these cabinets that were holding on to little kid stuff that I really have no use for ... my girls are BIG! So several bags full of trash was hauled up and out.

And the final color:

basement cabinets
So pretty! Such a nice update to these cabinets. Now I'm just trying to decide if I need pulls. Comment below if you have any feelings either way. 

Comments

  1. HI! Even though I like the clean look of the cabinets without pulls, I think that they would stay cleaner if hands were touching the pulls. And since you asked, I like pulls rather than knobs. It's like adding some pretty jewelry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.