The Office Update Project Overview

Now that we've gotten all the really ugly rooms in my home addressed (basement, laundry room and our master bathroom), I'm turning my attention to our home office.

Office Floor Layout;
1) Cabinets and Bookcase,
2) Sewing Cabinet.
3) Chair? 4) Second Desk
We are so lucky to have this room. It's right off the entryway, is a great size and when we work from home, we can close the doors and have some privacy. But, mainly, it's a clutter-catcher room. Boo!

My goals for updating it will be to add more table/work space, which is sadly lacking. I'd love to have enough seating so the girls could do their homework in here, too. But for now, getting two working desks will be enough.

Also, I want to keep books and my sewing storage in here. And I want a space dedicated to household paperwork. I'd love to get an upholstered "reading" chair in here, too, but I'm not sure it will fit. Last, it needs an overall stye update.

Right now the room is dominated by this bookcase, which was a major selling feature when we bought the house. I thought "perfect! I don't need to buy a bookcase." But, after seven years of looking at it, it's dated and not my style. Gah! So, it's got to go. (More about my "controversial" decision to remove this bookcase later.)
The Biggie Bookshelf; Too Traditional
The wall opposite the window is an odd wall, because of the slant. Right now, the sewing cabinet is there, and will likely stay. I'm thinking of adding wall shelves, maybe? Or could this be where the upholstered chair comes in? I'll have to play around.

Sewing Cabinet and Slanted Wall
Then, there's this little corner by the door near the window. Currently, it houses my Mom's vintage desk but if I can find a different spot for it, I'd love to turn this into the second desk space with a spot for our household paperwork. I'm thinking if we thrift a long file cabinet and run a butcher block counter over it and cover a bit of the window, I can leave that bulletin board and organize all the paperwork (school calendar, invitations, etc.) that don't have a home now.

Window Wall
Last, the light fixture, which is currently track lighting, needs an update and the floor may or may not need to be addressed. And I'd like to get it all done for under $400 with the biggest part of the budget going to the wall hanging bookshelves that will replace the overly traditional bookcase, and any supplies I need to patch the wall and perhaps paint the cabinet. I guess we'll see. 

More on that later. 

But first, I have to clear out the bookcase so I can see what I'm dealing with. And clear out the rest of the clutter. 



Related posts:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project