Skip to main content

Bathroom Renovation Planning

 Here we go again! 

Our girls' bathroom has long been the last room on the checklist that sorely needs a renovation. 

The current pictures tell it all; the vanity is outdated and faucets are leaking, the shower has plastic tile and a dangerous angle in the tub that I've nearly slipped on. The shower head also doesn't turn off all the way and leaks often. 

It's dated and dumpy. 

And here's a breakdown of our goals for the renovation: updated tile that's bright and pretty. A new vanity with lots of storage and two sinks for our two daughters. A larger mirror for maximum users. 

A walk-in shower is going to be key. Not only for the older guests but it will just look better. We have a new tub in our bathroom, in case you're thinking "what about resale?!" Which I don't normally consider. Everything is pretty much staying where it is, no major plumbing or electrical is going to be involved, just getting refreshed and working properly. This Fall! 



The big and bold change will be to this dumb closet. First, you know I hate doors that collide into each other (so those were removed years ago). The access to the attic is in this little closet and it's claustrophobic to shimmy up in there to change filters and service the hvac. Also, the storage is just a stop-gap solution as I waited on this renovation. 

They'll demo out this closet completely, from wall to ceiling. I'll then install a "towel nook" with a cabinet, countertop, outlets and open shelving above to store all my towels and linens for guests' easy access. It's going to be a modern and elegant solution. Open up the room AND gives me access to the attic. 

Ready for the plan? 

I have been saving ideas on a Pinterest board for years. And the one idea in my head was a really pretty floor that my daughters' friends will want to take photos of. That my sisters will compliment. That's where I started. Then, finding this towel nook concept that will work the best for us. Here's what I finally settled on ... 


Hopefully, you noticed the floor first and became super excited. Then you may have questioned the white tile, but going white and neutral allows me to play with the color on the walls. I'm starting with a blush pink (girls!) and will undoubtedly repaint sometime down the road. 

Also, check out that towel nook with the open shelves and cabinet below. Imagine linens folded and a basket of shampoo, conditioner. And a curling iron heating on the counter top. It's going to be so useful for daily use, and for guests' needs. 

OK ... so this all goes down in the next few months. We have a contractor ready to roll, when his schedule opens up. 

This will be our fourth bathroom renovation, so I think we might be getting the hang of it! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.