Skip to main content

Overthinker Packer Here

 One of my favorite topics is back. PACKING. 

We're celebrating out milestone birthdays this year with a friend trip: A 7-day river cruise in Europe with three other couples. And I AM EXCITED. Plus, Dave and I tacked on a week in Vienna because, heck, why not. 

I'm in FULL PACKING MODE which you know means starting a least a month out and overthinking everything. 

The challenge on this trip is to sincerely pack light for two-weeks abroad. Lots of re-wearing outfits, minimal-but-great walking shoes and layers I can pull on and off. 

Let's review my packing phases: 

Phase 1 : Planning, scheduling and research. I sketch out what we're doing each day, estimate the weather and guess what I'm going to want to wear each day. 

Phase 2 : Sort, Buy, Stack. With my list in hand, I go through my closet picking out my very favorite, top-tier clothes that I love the best. Then, I start to see color similarities and what's missing. Then I buy a few things to augment. (Like this time I bought a denim shirt dress.) New undies are also a must.

Phase 3 : Packing up! At least a week in advance. This give me time to see what kind of space I have and do last minute switches. I can also look at the weather and make edits based on that. This is also the phase were I work on my carry-on, which is a whole other mind-mess of overthinking. 

The carry-on is where I really excel. I don't want to overpack, but I want to be ready for every crisis and situation I could face out there. Boredom. Thirsty. Hungry. Cranky. Tired. I'm prepared!

Because here's the prize: I'm in every travel photo looking cute and pulled together (rather than avoiding the camera and feeling slouchy and a mess). I feel relaxed and ready for anything our adventures can throw at me. I can look back at my photos and think "I felt so happy and confident." 

More details from our trip to come! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.