Skip to main content

Our Backyard Tree is Gone!

Did I love this tree that provided so much shade in the backyard, near the backdoor and around the patio? Oh yes, very much. 

Did I keep up with its maintenance to keep it a manageable size so it didn't get too close to the house offering a bridge for animals to crawl around my roof and attic? And danger of dropping a limb onto the house? No, no I didn't.


I looked at Dave and said "Ok, ok, if you want to remove this tree, it's fine. I think it's time." And within 48 hours he had a few estimates and was scheduling a crew to come and remove it. So quickly, that I couldn't even second guess it. 

Here's the tree and you can see how close it got to the house. LOVE all the shade. Not loving all the danger it posed, especially with this strong storms blowing through more frequently. 


And then our NAKED backyard with out the tree. Such a big difference! I keep saying: "this is what was best for the yard and our house in the long run. Big trees shouldn't have been planted that close to the house in the first place. And we'll get used to it." 


I have a plan to create a nice fire pit space here. And I'd like to power wash the patio now that we have full sun. 

And maybe add a flower box under that little bathroom window. 

And maybe a little trellis along the right side to grow star Jasmine or something viney and pretty that wouldn't have survived when the tree was blocking all the light. 

But, yeah, I miss my big tree. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.